flight safety essays dissertation data collection analysis pdf business plan sample help writing scholorship essay writing mla papers probability statistics help research paper discussion section
ZEFYS > Erscheinungsländer
 

Finedon

Finedon
Finedon is a civil parish and village in the Borough Council of Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, with a population at the 2001 census of 4,188 people. Along with Wellingborough, it is twinned with Wittlich, Germany, and Niort, France. In 1086 when the Domesday Book was completed, Finedon was a large royal manor, previously held by Queen Edith. At this time the village was known as Tingdene, which originates from the Old English words þing meaning assembly or meeting and Denu meaning valley or vale. Tingdene and the later version, Thingdon, were used until the early nineteenth century until finally Finedon became the commonly accepted version, both in written format as well as in pronunciation. The importance of Finedon at the time of the Domesday Book is clear, as with a population of 102 it was one of only four towns listed with a population greater than 50 in Northamptonshire - the others being Northampton, Brackley, and Rushton. The Bell Inn also claims to be listed in the Domesday Book, but the current building does not date back to this period, and there is evidence that the site of the original inn was situated several hundred metres away. However, the main building was built around 1598, with the current façade added in 1872. The Parish Church, St Mary's, is a mid-14th century church with an aisled and cloistered nave of four bays. The current parish priest is Rev Richard Coles, former member of pop group The Communards. The tower houses a ring of eight bells in the key of D with the tenor weighing just over 21 hundredweight (about 1.1 tonnes). The church also boasts an impressive organ which was probably originally built for St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle in 1704. It was installed in 1717, rebuilt in 1872, and restored in 1960, and it retains its tracker action. Popular legend has it that Handel played on the organ before it came to Finedon, but this has never been decisively proved. Finedon hides away many historic buildings. A notable building in Finedon's history was the Volta Tower, built in 1865 by Mr Mackworth Dolben. This building collapsed in 1951 due to being constructed without mortar, the building was a local landmark when it stood. Finedon is in the Borough Council of Wellingborough, although many of the inhabitants are anxious to assert Finedon's distinct identity and not be assimilated into the larger town of Wellingborough. Finedon has a small country park which is officially called Finedon Pocket Park. The local name for the park area (The Pits) is derived from its historical use as an ironstone quarry. Nearby communities include Irthlingborough, Burton Latimer and Little Harrowden.


Hinweis: ZEFYS nutzt zur Anreicherung von Daten Informationen aus frei zugänglichen Internet-Ressourcen (z.B. Wikipedia, dbpedia, u.a.). Die auf diese Weise angezeigten Texte und verlinkten Dokumente liegen in der alleinigen Verantwortung des jeweiligen Betreibers, insbesondere können in diesen Texten enthaltene fehlerhafte Hyperlinks nicht durch die Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin korrigiert werden - wir bitten um Verständnis.