ZEFYS > Publication Countries
 

Schwamendingen

Schwamendingen
Schwamendingen is a district in the Swiss city of Zurich. It is district number 12. The district comprises the quarters Schwamendingen Mitte, Saatlen and Hirzenbach. Schwamendingen was an Alemannic settlement, named after one Swuamund, archaeologically attested from the 5th century. The settlement was given to the Grossmünster in the 9th century after the death of its last Alemannic owner, Picho son of Ertilo. The settlement is recorded as consisting of ten houses in 915. The Grossmünster presents the village with a church bell in 1461. During the Swiss Reformation, the first Protestant pastor in Schwammendingen, Hans Schmid, takes office in 1526. Schwamendingen and Oerlikon become independent municipalities in 1872. These are incorporated into the city of Zurich in 1934, together with Seebach, Affoltern, Witikon, Höngg, Altstetten and Albisrieden.

Countries/Places :



Notice: For data enrichment ZEFYS utilises database entries coming from freely available Internet-Sources (like Wikipedia, dbpedia, etc.) Please note, that these texts and documents are in the only responsibility of the respective supplier. In particular, the Berlin State Library is not able to fix broken hyperlinks within these texts or documents - we apologize for any inconvenience.