ZEFYS > Publication Countries
 

Trbovlje

Trbovlje
Trbovlje is a town and municipality in central Slovenia. Traditionally the area was part of the Lower Styria region. The entire municipality is now included in the Zasavje statistical region. Located in the valley of a minor left bank tributary of the river Sava, the area is known for its rich deposits of coal. Coal mining began in the area in 1804. In 1849 the town was connected Austrian Southern Railway and this allowed for its further development. There are three power plants in the area. The landmark feature of the Trbovlje power plant is the Trbovlje Chimney - reputedly the tallest chimney in Europe (360 m). A major section of the local museum is dedicated to the history of mining in the area. The parish church in the settlement is dedicated to Saint Martin and belongs to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Celje. It is originally a Romanesque church of which part of the nave survives. The sanctuary is Gothic and in the 18th century a Baroque belfry and chapel were added. In the 19th century the nave was extended. A second church in the western end of town is dedicated to Saint Nicholas and was built in the 18th century. The Slovenian industrial band Laibach hails from Trbovlje. Trbovlje has a student organization, Klub trboveljskih študentov (Klub B), that organises various events.

Countries/Places :



Notice: For data enrichment ZEFYS utilises database entries coming from freely available Internet-Sources (like Wikipedia, dbpedia, etc.) Please note, that these texts and documents are in the only responsibility of the respective supplier. In particular, the Berlin State Library is not able to fix broken hyperlinks within these texts or documents - we apologize for any inconvenience.