ZEFYS > Publication Countries
 

Sleaford

Sleaford
Sleaford is a town within the North Kesteven district of Lincolnshire, England. It is located thirteen miles (21 km) northeast of Grantham, seventeen miles (27 km) west of Boston, and nineteen miles (30 km) south of Lincoln, and had a total resident population of around 14,500 in 6,167 households at the time of the 2001 census. The name Sleaford is from the Old English esla+forde, meaning "ford over a muddy stream" (now known as the River Slea). In 852 the name first appears as Slioford whilst in the 1086 Domesday book it is recorded as Eslaforde'. The river was the main trade route for the town for many years. In 1794, the Slea was canalised, known as the Sleaford Navigation it operated until superseded by the railways in the mid 1850s. Until recently, Sleaford was primarily an agricultural town, supporting a cattle market and famous seed companies such as Hubbard and Phillips and Sharpes International Seeds. More recently, Sleaford is developing as a tourist and craft destination.

Countries/Places :



Notice: For data enrichment ZEFYS utilises database entries coming from freely available Internet-Sources (like Wikipedia, dbpedia, etc.) Please note, that these texts and documents are in the only responsibility of the respective supplier. In particular, the Berlin State Library is not able to fix broken hyperlinks within these texts or documents - we apologize for any inconvenience.